Tuesday, July 22, 2008

What a Difference a Day Makes!

So, you may know that nothing happened this weekend (that I thought would happen). But this weekend was not a failure!! Although the anxiousness and the tension in my spirit was trying to tell me otherwise. That energy sent me down some new paths. I had first gone down the path to ask God for further illumination about His promises to me. I tried that, but didn't hear anything new. But I realized that asking for more information about the promises was potentially an area of weakness for me. Asking for more illumination put my thoughts and energy on the promises and not on God. Now, let me make sure to say that there is nothing wrong with the promises of God and receiving them!!! He is about promises! His word confirms that. So, it's not that at all. My confession is that recently I was more about the promises than I was about God.

So, I took another Godly friend's advice concerning where I have put my trust. Have I put it in the promises or in the power of God? I think entering His rest is more about trusting not so much for a promise, but just trusting in His Word.

I asked Him to show me what He wanted to show me. He showed me that I don't need signs. He's showing me who He is. He's faithful, perfect, true, timely, never failing, trustworthy, competent, lovely, desirable, factual, fearful, mighty. His word repeatedly points to that. That's the rest I can enter into. That's His rest! And that's where I want to be.

THE BEST PART OF THIS!!!! And this is the part I can't wait to share with you is that I feel the same giddyness in anticipation of how God will work that I felt with the promises He gave me concerning my father (in 1994). It's a very long story and involves my sister's suicide, a woman in my dad's life, and my dad's health. Suffice to say, one night I was at the end of my rope and quite metaphorically "put my dad on the altar". I had an amazing experience of peace that night then fell asleep. That next morning I experienced a giddyness in anticipation of how God will work. And He did! It wasn't at all how I had expected it, but He was faithful.

This time, it happened a little differently. But Sunday night I told someone that I was at the very end of the limb... at the tip of the leaves. I was basically at the end of myself. And, with my friend's advice, I traded the hope of the promises for the hope of God! And I have experienced that same peace and that giddyness in how God will work. I trust Him.

So, my new words/phrases:

Rock
Fullness of time
Rely
True
Fully persuaded
Faithful
Peace

All for now (I think),
Lisa

No comments: