Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Today's Devotionals... so GOOD!

You know, sometimes the devotionals I read can just hit me square between the eyes. And today is no exception... all THREE of them. Here are some excerpts:

Streams in the Desert

Whatever occurs in the valley of tears, I know He has chosen me. Dear Christian, do not be afraid, for Jesus is with you. Through all your fiery trials. His presence is both your comfort and safety. He will never forsake those He has chosen for His own.
Our Daily Bread

Far too often, it seems, we limit the significance of church to what happens on Sunday. But the church is to be so much more. It is to be a safe haven, a rescue station, a training center for spiritual service.
My Utmost For His Highest

Do you have even the slightest reliance on anything or anyone other than God? Is
there a remnant of reliance left on any natural quality within you, or on any
particular set of circumstances? Are you relying on yourself in any manner
whatsoever regarding this new proposal or plan which God has placed before you?

We are to “love one another,” John the disciple reminded us, “for love is of God” (1 John 4:7).

So, what all three of these devotionals have told me today (which is nothing that I didn't already know) is that, yes, affliction and brokenness will happen. And tears will come. But He has chosen me (how cool is that?). And what can get ahold of me when God is there? ("His presence is both comfort and safety). And the church (the body, not necessarily one church) should be a training center towards a greater yielded life. Yet, the church should not be the source of the training - just a means. I guess what I'm tyring to say is even relying on the church (even if it's a remnant) is not truly relying on God. Yet, He will use the church (our friends, family, even circumstances) to get His message delivered.

God is love. Jesus is the access. The Spirit is the guide. We rely on those. Alone. Our friends, family, church, circumstances are used by God.

Let's not get that mixed up.

All for now,
Lisa

P.S. Oh, and last night, a friend forwarded me a passage I had not seen before: For I am the LORD, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you. Isaiah 41:13

No comments: