Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Pondering Rest

Here's one that I've been pondering since "rest" became one of my words and then my pastor went over the first set of commandments a couple of weeks ago. It's about honoring the remembering the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. A few times in Hebrews (3:18, 4:1, 4:10), the author speaks of "entering His rest" or "God's rest" - and it seems it not necessarily a "day" but a "state of being".

So, I'm really going to the fact that God created EVERYTHING (the heavens and earth) in 6 days and rested. He ceased. He hasn't created anything new (ex nihilo) since then has He? I think it means that even the future has already been created (Jesus even said, I am going to there to prepare a place for you - in John). Even the new Jerusalem has been created. We just haven't seen it yet. Genesis 2:1-3 says (emphasis mine):
Thus the heavens and the earth were completed in all their vast array. By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. And God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done.

So, entering His rest means being obedient to His plan (and thus surrendering yours). See what I mean? If He's created everything (including the future) then it stands to reason where God says I know the plans I have for you (Jeremiah). And seeking Him with our whole heart and being obedient to that follows in His plan. And that's His rest. We don't need to do anything else... the plans have already been made (thus no more addition on His part - He ceased). That's how we enter into HIs rest. We cease working (on our own strength) too. Does that make any sense at all?

You know, the Bible verse in my weekly Bible study this week was Phil 4:13 (I can do everything through him who gives me strength)... but I think I'm learning the basis for that is the verse before it... Phil 4:12 (I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.). So, I think the secret to being content is to do all things in Christ - and only do things in Christ - i.e. to be obedient to God's plan - and that's entering into His rest (the pressure is off us). Now that's peaceful.

Make sense? I'm not trying to convince you. I'm really just trying to hold it up to the light with other folks for a reality check.

All for now (I think),
Lisa

No comments: