Monday, July 28, 2008

Examining Hannah

Well, when two Godly woman mention something to me, I guess I should listen. Within days of each other, both women suggested looking at Hannah, from 1 Samuel. So, I've done a little study on her and believe you me, she's a very interesting woman.

Take aways for me:
  • Like other great women of faith (Sarah, Rebekah, and Rachel), Hannah was barren not out of the consequences of sin but for the glory of God, in his due time.
  • Human intervention proved no comfort for her. Elkanah could not comfort her. Her rival provoked her to more distress. Only God could comfort. And her praise reflects that (see below).
  • Her prayer was effectual because she completely poured out her ALL soul to the Lord; out of her grief and anguish (even prayed with others were feasting). She knew God alone was her only help. She trusted in God and prayed in that faith, alone.
  • She prayed that the Lord would remember her (1 Samuel 1:11). And the Lord rememered her (1 Samuel 1:19).
  • She prayed with perseverence. "As she kept on praying to the Lord" (1 Samuel 1:12).
  • She has peace before receiving her blessing -- "Then she went her way and ate something, and her face was no longer downcast" (1 Samuel 1:18). That can only come from supernatural intervention.
  • Her praise and worship (Hannah's prayer) came from her own experiences but her focus of her praise was not her experiences; the focus of her praise was on the character of God.
  • Her story is one to be remembered. And one to give glory to God. Even Mary, the mother of our Lord, was especially mindful of Hannah's prayer, as we see in her own psalm in Luke (see below)
  • Then Hannah prayed and said: "My heart rejoices in the LORD; in the LORD my horn is lifted high.
    1 Samuel 2:1

    And Mary said: "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior
    Luke 1:46-47

All for now (I think),
Lisa

No comments: