Wednesday, July 30, 2008

No Purity, No Power

My pastor is going through the book of Exodus right now. He continually mentions that "God's will is always accompanied by God's power and God's provision". And I believe that.

So I've been thinking about God's will. And how to completely trust Him with my life (through considering His character). That's recently been a strong theme for me. And with completely trusting Him comes completely committing ALL of me. ALL of me includes looking at the subtle sin in my life - and getting rid of it! No, it's not the biggies... I foolishly thought because I had the biggies down that I was doing "pretty good". But it was the "innocuous" thoughts - self-righteousness, pride, arrogance - that got slowly wrapped around the God things in my life tainting my own purity with my own poison. And if sin fills that space then there's no room for God's purity, or God's harvest.

Sunday morning capped it! Once again, I'm getting pretty transparent. But it was in the car on the way to church as a matter of fact. I realized some very subtle sinful thoughts which were wrapped around some God thoughts. I confessed it, repented, and asked for humility. Then, in Sunday school, my teacher was not there, so she had a substitute. Would you believe it was Beth Moore! And would you believe she taught on Hebrews 12:1-13 (God disciplines His sons)! Ouch!!

In a nutshell she said:

Your Disciplinarian is not about disabling you, but healing you
And He will change your harvest
Where are you crippled?
How have your tried to handle it?
That's what He need to break
That's what He wants to heal
And give a harvest of righteousness and peace
Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. "Make level paths for your feet,"so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed.
Hebrews 12:12-13

God, put in me the right heart to make the right choice. And take away the insidious part that is sin in my life. Have room to give Your harvest! I receive the discipline. Heal me and turn my harvest for good.

If it's ONLY Jesus, then it can be NOTHING else.
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139:23-24

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.
Psalm 119:9-11

All for now (I think),
Lisa

No comments: