Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Resting vs. Waiting

I learned that the Hebrew word for "wait" is "to twist by binding". And in recent experiences I have encountered Christ in my waiting - much like Mary and Martha did in waiting for Christ concerning their brother Lazarus. I have learned that waiting is not passive, but active. I have also learned that waiting has its own reward. And He is right there with me!!

That was then and this is now. As you might have read, I now feel called to "rest". I told a friend the other day that I was going to explore it... I use to think resting and waiting were similar, but they are very different!

Our pastor spoke on Sunday (of course, more perfect timing!) about the first 4 of the 10 Commandments. The 4th commandment is:

"Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
Exodus 20:8-11

The Hebrew word for rest is the same root word for seven and sabbath. At that perfect time, it means to cease, stop, end. It doesn't necessarily mean to restore (as we think rest is... to rest because you're weary). It means an ending of activity, the cessation of effort. Sabbath does not mean keeping a special day, it means ending a specific effort. God created the the earth, then He rested. Have you noticed that He has yet to create anything new since then? He ceased.

There are a couple of passages that have spoken to me:

There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; for anyone who enters God's rest also rests from his own work, just as God did from his. Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will fall by following their example of disobedience.
Hebrews 4:9-11

I was working. And now I'm ceasing from my labors, my activity, my works, even my waiting.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Matthew 11:28-30
I was weary and burdened. God will give me rest. And there I will find rest (both are in that passage).

All for now (I think),
Lisa

No comments: