Thursday, July 31, 2008

What Could I Say, and What Could I Do?
But Offer This Heart O God Completely to You?

That's a line taken from a Hillsong United praise and worship song called The Stand. But that's also a line taken from my life lately. Or one to which I'm drawn.

And you know, these last two months have been intense. I have seen God's character and felt His presence incredibly. In fact, probably a way I've never experienced before! No doubt about that. But I also feel a bit like I've been through the ringer. But I'm not sure whose done more "ringing" - God or me!

I was reading in "Life with God", by Richard Foster, where it says, "we do not produce change by practicing the Disciplines - we receive it". He speaks about the "law of liberty" which is intended to be guidelines to keep us from going into the bondage of self-effort. This line was good: "spiritual formation does not occur by direct human effort, but through a relational process whereby we receive from God the power or ability to do what we cannot do by our own effort". That struck me also.

Now, let me offer that I do not doubt God's presence or work in my life. And I've been trying to be still - and working hard for it. But Foster also states, "There might be a kind of slavery that is very religious - an attempt to work hard to gain God's approval instead of living obediently in response to the joyful freedom of God's grace." Well, as Voddie Baucham says, "if you can't say amen, you better say ouch". Ouch! Ouch! Ouch!!

So I think for now I just need to dance with my Lord in my pretty cotton dress in a lovely open field on a cool, sunny day (which all might just be in my head) and just "be" for a little while.

It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.
Galatians 5:1

All for now,
Lisa

No comments: