Friday, August 01, 2008

I Can See Clearly Now

I know I'm showing my age but I remember that song when it came out (Johnny Nash was so cute!). But that title speaks of how I am right now... in a pretty good place. Well, at the end of myself I guess. No question, God has been very apparent to me lately. Yet in all that goodness, a couple of insidious things have happened: addiction which led to self-effort and me trying to rush to the "goal"

Let me explain: in all that has happened lately, it has been good. It has been very good. But I think in seeing God more apparently in my life has led to me wanting more.. wanting more... wanting more (almost like an addiction). And instead of waiting and welcoming, I was seeking Him (not bad), in my own effort (not good). That's where I've veered off course a bit. And that's when anxiety and confusion comes in.

The second part was equally subtle. I think I completely understand God's sovereignty... there's no question about that. He's in control. But somehow in all that I have learned and relearning afresh I think some part, in the back of my head, could "rush" through it.... "yes, Lord, let's get through this, I get it, now let's move on..." kind of thing. And He's not about that. And I don't want to be either.

Of course, I've seen this through a variety of ways (Beth Moore was our subsitute teacher on Sunday and she spoke of discipline (the right heart to do the right thing and the right time for the right reason), a friend in my Bible study talked about freedom/liberty/emmancipation in Christ and that truly spoke to my heart, and I'm reading "Life with God" and it speaks of those very things (discipline, "law of liberty", and indirection) - which I read about after all these other things happened). And today's "Streams in the Desert" spoke to it also... about yielding my life to God with a definite act of my will. Absolute trust. To take my hands off my own and yet welcome what He has had, has, and will have for me. Sometimes He has to me in a couple of different ways to "get it"!

I'm taking a deep breath in! His yoke is easy and His burden is light.

All for now,
Lisa

P.S. my words:
content - Phil 4:12, Hebrews 13:5
delight - Zeph 3:17
comfort - 2 Cor 1:3-4
liberty/emmancipation - Psalm 119:45
response - Daniel 10:12
joy - John 16:24, James 1:2-3
yoke - Matthew 11:28-30

No comments: