Tuesday, September 23, 2008

September 11, 2008: An Odd Spiritual Application

Strangely, I started this post almost two weeks ago. On September 11, The New York Times, as you would imagine, had quite a few articles on memorials, reflections, and the after-math of that fateful day seven years ago. One of the last sentences I read said something about just being attentive to look around and be in the present. The odd thing is that I had read a devotional a few moments earlier where Buechner said, "pay attention!"

The “coincidence” caught my attention.

And speaking of paying attention, I think in this life with God, I've learned His voice best not in the "big" times, but in the little times. In my car, in my study time, as I drift off to sleep at night. I’ve begun to know when it’s Him and not just my own thoughts. After all, Jesus says, "You'll know me by My voice".

I think if anything, I've learned that life with Christ (and life is ONLY in Christ) doesn't involve effort, it involves surrender. And you can try harder at it; you just have to throw off more... of what is not Him. Travel more lightly.

My friend Andy says, "just show up". Just show up and pay attention. You'll know Him by His voice. I think that says it all.

All for now,
Lisa

No comments: