Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Real or Plastic Fruit?

You know, manufacturers have gotten really good at producing plastic fruit. Sometimes it's really hard to distinguish the difference between real and plastic fruit. And I think the analogy holds for spiritual fruit in our lives.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Galatians 5:22-23

I wonder how good I am at producing fruit in my life? Because fruit produced by me is meaningless. It has to be out of Christ's love for me. Meaning, I have to ask myself a good question. Is it from an outpouring of Christ ruling in my life? Or is it just the action alone? I'm reminded of a passage that speaks about having great things, but without love it gains nothing.

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.
1 Corinthians 13:1-3

Then, in another passage, Pauls talks about similar fruits and bearing and forgiving one another, as the Lord has forgiven me. Then it says,

And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
Colossians 3:14

So, love binds them all together. And this is the catchy thing about love. It's not our choice of whom to love. You really can't pick and choose whom to love. In three passages, Christ admonishes to love your enemies, to pray for those who persecute you or mistreat you, to bless those who curse you, to do good to those who hate you. And you know what I've found? In doing that, I received fruit I'd never imagine I'd receive... joy, peace, patience and faithfulness to name a few.

And then I see that love is the first fruit mentioned by Paul in 1 Corinthians. Well, makes sense. Love produces love. And I think love produces all of them. "out of love, I will surrender to God and He will clothe me in..."

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13:13

Ever thought about why those three remain? And why love is the greatest? I think because faith and hope won't be needed in heaven. All we'll have is love!

All for now,
Lisa

1 comment:

JMae said...

Lisa!

Hello there this is Janice! I cannot believe that you found my blog searching for the scripture from Streams in the Desert. By the way I had just read yesterday and loved it. One of my favorite devotionals. The Lord and His infinite wisdom just amazes me.

Your blog is amazing. I loved your pictures from Kenya. You are so blessed to be able to go and serve others. Oh how I long to do that. All in God's timing that is for sure.

Hope you have an amazing day...and praying for the great state of Texas and the hurricane that is coming in.

Take care Lisa,
In His Name,
Janice