Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Grace and Mercy... Enough For All

I have to confess, sometimes I can get pretty selfish. Especially when I have been hurt or wronged, I want justice! But where is my compassion? If I want grace and mercy enough for me and my horrible sins, why then would I not want others to participate in the same? It is small of me to not want that. It is petty that I should think justice for them and grace and mercy for me!

I think the only thing that combats bitterness is grace and mercy. I leave you with a GREAT quote from "Captured by Grace", by David Jeremiah. Thank you, Tammie!
Think of it this way: Mercy is God withholding the punishment we rightfully deserve. Grace is God not only withholding the punishment but offering the most precious gifts instead.

Mercy withholds the knife from the heart of Isaac.
Grace provides a ram in the thicket.

Mercy runs to forgive the Prodigal Son.
Grace throws a party with every extravagance.

Mercy bandages the wounds of the man beaten by the robbers.
Grace covers the cost of his full recovery.

Mercy hears the cry of the thief on the cross.
Grace promises paradise that very day.

Mercy pays the penalty for our sin at the cross.
Grace substitutes the righteousness of Christ for our wickedness.

Mercy converts Paul on the road to Damascus.
Grace calls him to be an apostle.

Mercy saves John Newton from a life of rebellion and sin.
Grace makes him a pastor and author of a timeless hymn (Amazing Grace).

Mercy closes the door to hell.
Grace opens the door to heaven.

Mercy withholds what we have earned.
Grace provides blessings we have not earned.
All for now,
Lisa

No comments: