Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Study to Be Quiet

Given that I've had the last 3 weeks off (and didn't travel anywhere), I took the opportunity to clean out closets, sell old books, throw away junk, etc. I came across a book mark a friend gave me over 20 years ago... it simply says, "study to be quiet". I'm not sure where she went (possibly New England), but she gave it to me upon her return.

I never really understood the idea expressed... until lately. God has had me incredible still lately. Those three words ("trust, rest, wait") demand it.

Ungodly things are determined to occupy our minds and mix our perspective to take our focus off the important. Quietness returns our focus to what is right, what is correct.

I think Psalm 46:10 sums it up nicely.

I wrote this quote down years ago and it makes more sense each day:

"We can make our minds so like still water that beings gather about us that they may see, it may be, their own images, and so live for a moment with a clearer, perhaps even with a fiercer life because of our quiet."
William Butler Yeats (love that he was Irish!)

All for now,
Lisa

No comments: