Thursday, January 01, 2009

Don't Squander This Leg of the Race

The three main words for me in 2008 were: trust, rest, and wait. I'm sure the both of you who regularly read my blog know this by now. ;-)

I've dug into trust and learned that it's different than belief. You can believe in God, you can believe God, and then you can trust God. It's three different levels requiring three different types of faith. A trust-based faith is one where you know there is a God, you know He is who is says He is, and that He has your best interest at heart. That's why you can trust Him. Even though you may not understand what He is doing.

Then I've dug into rest. I've learned that it is a ceasing of ceasings. That to enter His rest means to stop trying to do it on your own. I've always known that God made the heavens and earth and all that is in it in 6 days. And He rested on the 7th. What has dawned on me is that has He created anything new since then? No. Your children. Your children's children have all been created. They just haven't happened yet. God created time and we live in it. So, to enter His rest means to align yourself to His providential plan.

Then just today it finally dawned on me about waiting. About expectancy. And being different from expectation. I can hope in expectancy of what God will provide. But when I hope in expectation, I've begun to put my own ideas of what God will provide. And that's not resting. And further, I've realized that waiting is active. Not passive. And it's not something I hope to be stubbornly defiant of. Or think that it's a boot camp to suffer through. In reading a weekly devotional this morning, it said it all for me... I don't want to squander this leg as I wait for the next leg to begin. There is a reason for the right now. Be blessed by it.

Happy New Year.

All for now,
Lisa

No comments: