Monday, November 03, 2008

Great Men and Women of Faith Series
There has never been a man in our history who led a life of ease whose name is worth remembering.
Theodore Roosevelt
I had mentioned a while ago that I was kinda done with blogging about myself would prefer to put the spotlight somewhere else.

And about a week ago, a friend and I were cooking dinner one evening and were discussing why do we know certain names of believers who lived lives many years ago... Francis Schaeffer, Dwight Moody, Corrie Ten Boom? I had told her I was interested in blogging about just why do we know these peoples' names. She encouraged me to follow through with my idea of focusing a blog entry on a great man or woman of faith.

To that end, my intent is to provide a very short synopsis of the individual and their life. It is my attempt to show (myself mostly) that lives lived without conflict or struggle are probably not the kinds of lives that God can best use and show Himself mightily. It is also my attempt to encourage each of us right in our own struggles and that God will use them (and us) just as easily and completely as He used the lives of people's names that are somehow familiar or famous.

Our pastor has mentioned Hudson Taylor frequently over the summer so I want to offer him as the inaugural blog post. And our pastor's Theodore Roosevelt quote on Sunday (see above) was the final straw that made me decide to start this series. Matter of fact, I found another TR quote worth noting:
I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.
Theodore Roosevelt

Look for the post first thing tomorrow!

All for now,
Lisa

No comments: