Tuesday, November 11, 2008



And Now a Moment to Honor the Veterans in My Family

I wanted to take a moment today to honor the veterans in my family. I'll start with my mom's side then go to my dad's.

Mom's Side


I've been able to trace my mother's heritage in the United States back to 1621. So, it's no surprise that I found out some good history.

My great grandfather (x4) on my grandmother's side - Osbourn Holley (b 1764, d 1847) - was listed as having served in the Revolutionary War! His identification is S-7021. Yes, I'm a DAR!!!

My grandfather's grandfather, John Robert Godwin, was born in 1841 and enlisted in the Confederate Army in 1861. He served as a Private in Company H, 20th Regiment, North Carolina Troops. He was wounded in 1862 was captured by the Yankees in 1864. He was later exchanged (probably at the close of the Civil War in 1865).

My grandfather's sister, Octavia Bass, married William R. Miles (b 1909 d 1996). He was from Little Rock, AK. He served in World War II and received a purple heart. Bill retired as a Major.

My grandfather's other sister, Corinna Bass, married Rufus Wellon House (b 1912 d 1977). He was from Rutherfordton, NC. He was a Lt. Col. and served in WWII.
My cousin, Andrea, married Matt Tatman, who has been in the U.S. Army since 1988 and has served numerous times in Iraq. I am very proud of him.
  
Dad's Side

My father's side is quite the opposite. Both of his parents immigrated to the US in the early 1900's. So, it didn't take long to research that side! However, it is with extreme pride that I tell you that ALL of their sons served in the US military! My grandfather had a tremendous sense of American pride and I can tell you it has definitely been handed down through the generations.

I'll go in birth order:

Theophilus (Ted) Karabatsos served in the US Navy during WWII. He was in the South Pacific on New Hebrides island where he contracted malaria (and the young age of 19 in 1942). He made petty officer second class.

Ulyses Karabatsos served in th US Army in Europe in WWII. He won the Bronze Star for heroism against the German Army in France, Holland, Belgium, and Germany during the war in 1944 and 1945. He made sargeant (twice) - so he got busted a few times. ;-)

Kimon Karabatsos joined the US Marine Corp during the Korean Peace Action in 1952. He made sargeant and received a purple heart.

George Karabatsos (my father) joined the US Navy in 1950 as a cadet in the Naval Reserve Officers Training Corp. He retired as a Lt Commander after 22 years of service in the Naval Reserves and on active duty.
I want to take a moment to say thank you to each of these heroes. Yes, John Robert Godwin fought for the side of slavery. All I can say is I'm glad the other side won. Regardless, John Robert Godwin was asked to serve and he did. And to the others who fought in WWII. I'm REALLY glad we won!!


But Most of All


While it is important to recognize and remember all those who have given service and even the ultimate sacrifice for their country in the name of freedom, may I never forget to recognize and remember Christ - who gives us ultimate freedom. As Our Daily Bread says, "His death was not just to give us a better life, but to give us eternal life."


All for now,
Lisa

1 comment:

COLE said...

i'm a DAR too! :)