Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Great Men and Women of Faith Series: Hudson Taylor

There has never been a man in our history who led a life of ease whose name is worth remembering.
Theodore Roosevelt

James Hudson Taylor (1832 – 1905) was a missionary to China, and founder of the China Inland Mission (now called OMF International). Born in England, all in all, Taylor spent 51 of his 73 years in China. His “numbers” are impressive. Some accounts have him helping bring over 800 missionaries to China; and those began 125 schools and directly resulted in 18,000 Christian conversions. He also helped establish many stations of work. Other accounts have developing a witnessing Chinese church of 125,000 and to have baptized some 50,000.

His life is even more impressive. Once at age 4, Hudson said to his parents, "When I am a man I mean to be a missionary and go to China." And even though growing up in a Christian home, his early years were marked with a wordly flair. Yet, at 17, he picked up a gospel tract, read it cover to cover, and accepted Christ as his savior. 4 years later he left for China.

Escaping death more than once, one of my favorite Pauline-like stories happened in September 1853. He was the only passenger in the sailing vessel which almost crashed as they neared the vicinity of New Guinea. Cannibals were watching as the current carried them swiftly toward sunken reefs near shore. Taylor and three others began to pray and suddenly a strong breeze sent them on their way. He finally reached Shanghai, China, March 1, 1854.

Losing both wives and many of his children, Hudson Taylor became bankrupt in mind, body, and spirit. As he reread a missionary friend's letter, he realized his struggle with with his self-effort. "I have striven in vain to abide in Him, I'll strive no more. For has not He promised to abide with me...never to leave me, never to fail me?" He then entered into what he called the "Exchanged Life" where his work for the Lord was no longer done in his own strength.

One of his favorite hymns is below:

Jesus, I Am Resting, Resting

Jesus, I am resting, resting,
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.
Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee,
And Thy beauty fills my soul,
For by Thy transforming power,
Thou hast made me whole.

Jesus, I am resting, resting,
In the joy of what Thou art;
I am finding out the greatness
Of Thy loving heart.

O, how great Thy loving kindness,
Vaster, broader than the sea!
O, how marvelous Thy goodness,
Lavished all on me!
Yes, I rest in Thee, Belovèd,
Know what wealth of grace is Thine,
Know Thy certainty of promise,
And have made it mine.

Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus,
I behold Thee as Thou art,
And Thy love, so pure, so changeless,
Satisfies my heart;
Satisfies its deepest longings,
Meets, supplies its every need,
Compasseth me round with blessings:
Thine is love indeed!

Ever lift Thy face upon me
As I work and wait for Thee;
Resting ’neath Thy smile, Lord Jesus,
Earth’s dark shadows flee.
Brightness of my Father’s glory,
Sunshine of my Father’s face,
Keep me ever trusting, resting,
Fill me with Thy grace.



All for now,
Lisa

No comments: