Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy

This passage (Matthew 5:7) has crossed my mind countless times since Hurricane Rita made landfall. Rita was barrelling into the Gulf, practically taking up the entire Gulf and headed in a bee-line straight for Galveston (and therefore Houston). Why did she decrease in size? Why did she turn at the last minute (especially when the upper level highs indicated the contrary)?

So, before I answer my own questions, let me make one caveat: This is not a judgement AT ALL on who Rita hit. Furthermore, please don't get me wrong either about the impact Rita had... Rita was a large hurricane (category 3) causing a lot of damage.

It has just made me mindful of this: It is obvious that Houston rose to the occasion in helping the Hurricane Katrina victims. Check out the many blogs, websites, newspapers that support this. Houston hit national news because of our helping hands. Could it be that mercy was shown to the merciful?

Let me know what you think. Either way, I am thanking God now.

All for now,
Lisa

No comments: