Sunday, September 11, 2005

The River Side vs. The Lake Side

The other day, I was talking to a New Orleans native about the flooding. Although a lot of New Orleans received some sort of flooding, she was telling me the areas most impacted. As she was explaining to me the areas, I could tell she also was analyzing it in her head. She finally said, "You know, it seems that the areas most impacted are on the Lake [Ponchatrain] side vs. the [Mississippi] River side". Then she said something that really got me to thinking... "I guess the silt built up by the river reinforced the levees".

I couldn't help but see a spiritual analogy here. Strength from movement. Weakness from lack of movement. I'm sure it still doesn't make sense. Let me explain with another water analogy.

In Israel, the Sea of Galilee is freshwater lake fed by three rivers. The beautiful lake is completely encircled by a beach and is a popular tourist attraction. The water is cool and clear and contains many varieties of fish (including the most famous "St. Peter's Fish"). Out of the Sea of Galilee flows another freshwater river... the very famous Jordan River. The Jordan River flows south and empties into the Dead Sea... which is, as we all know, saltwater. OK... freshwater, freshwater, saltwater. Why?

You see the Sea of Galilee has an input (three rivers) and an output (Jordan River) -- movement. The Dea Sea only has an input; no output -- no movement.

Ok, let me get to the bottom line: in our lives, there has to be inputs and outputs... movement... for strength, for life. I remember Beth Moore calling it the "breathing in" and "breathing out" of Christ. Breathing in is the study, meditation, prayer and the breathing out is the worship, service, and works. Without both, we are succeptible, just like those levees, to failing to be what we are called to be.

Are you on the river side or the lake side?

All for now,
Lisa

P.S. And you know what? I love that these analogies involve water...

Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."
John 4:10

1 comment:

Me said...

Those are awesome analogies Lisa! Thanks for sharing the picture that the Lord gave you!