Saturday, September 03, 2005

Overwhelmed
Sorry for the somewhat inappropriate pun here, but I can't think of a better word to use. Hurricane Katrina has brought to me a flood of emotions.

Yes, I'm overwhelmed by all of the destruction. The devastation delivered by Hurricane Katrina is evident throughout the Gulf Coast, not just the well-publicized New Orleans -- which was hit very hard also. Hurricane Katrina is now being called the worst natural disaster in the history of the United States.

But might I also say, at the same time, I'm besieged by what I see from human behavior in response to the tragedy -- the juxtaposition of the generosity of people willing to give so much and so readily and the greed and lawlessness of looters willing to take so much and so readily.

The weird thing is that I can identify with the heart and motivation of each. I know “how can I help” has gone through my head countless times since I heard about the effects of Katrina. I also know that I probably would go to pretty severe means to provide for my loved ones. Their desperation is palpable... losing hope can be a grim experience.

All of this got me thinking about when it seems like life has brought more of a load than others or I can bear. Then, this simple statement came to mind
God doesn't give you more than you can handle

Phooey. If that were the case then it must follow that we can handle absolutely everything. How does one handle a situation like a loved one suffocating to death in an attic because of rising waters, or dying slowly because of dehydration? Simple answer: one doesn't. At least not on his/her own. In my experience, God often gives me more than I can handle. If He didn’t, I wouldn't be as dependent on Him as I need to be. But please don’t misinterpret this as I’m always willing to be dependent on Him as I need to be. I confess that even when I know God is in the midst of it, there are times when life's situations seem to be too unbearable, which often leads me to taking matters into my hands. And, as you might imagine, that’s when the real trouble begins! But I digress.

This below scripture is often touted as the "God doesn't give you more than you can handle" proof.


No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it
(1 Cor.10:13)

The part I want to focus on is that when we are tempted, God will provide a way of escape without giving into sin. The important part here is that you won't give into sin. What does God plan for... our temptation or our good? I rest in the following:

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” (Jeremiah 29:11-13)

No comments: