Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thank You for Playing... the Gentrification of Houston is Now Complete


gen·tri·fi·ca·tion (jĕn'tre fĭ-kā'shen) n.
The restoration and upgrading of deteriorated urban property by middle-class or affluent people, often resulting in displacement of lower-income people.

My friend, SWM, just informed me that the Pig Stand restaurants as well as Deitrich's would no longer grace Houston. I knew about the Pig Stand restaurants (bankruptcy - which I kinda feel like is their own fault), but Deitrich's was sold out by their landlord. Apparently, the landowners want to expand their spa... and that's what Houston needs... another spa! Worst of all, SWM informed me that Deitrich's would be selling all their stores to Starbucks! Say it ain't so! I mean, I have nothing against Starbucks. I love a good grande nonfat latte. But let us have choices, people!

I suppose I'm in such a foul mood about this because I just drove by that great old building on Allen Parkway and Studemont just to see that they're demolishing it... along with most of the metal buldings along that drive.

And I've recently heard of threats to demolish the River Oaks theatre... in favor of condominiums. Whatever.

I've lived in Houston pretty much all of my life. As I reflect back, I'm mindful of all the fun places that no longer grace Houston.

Landmarks
Shamrock Hotel with its GIANT pool
Jefferson Davis Hospital on Allen Parkway

Music Venues
Old Music Hall
Club Hay Hay on Washington
Fabulous Satellite Lounge

What do you remember?

What's still in Houston that makes it truly unique? The orange show, the beer can house... what else?

I can hear Bob Dylan in my head, "the times they are a-changin'". But is it for the better?

All for now,
Lisa

5 comments:

Steven and Amanda said...

I remember Pipe Organ Pizza in Memorial City Mall and Ferrell's in the Galleria. Good times!

(For the record, Diedrich's is only selling some of its stores to Starbucks -- not all of them.)

Lori Latham said...

Don't forget Peppermint Park!

erin vanv said...

I think I am absolutely devastated about Diedrich's....

Alyssa said...

So are you no longer blogging? Come back to the blog world! If I can rejoin, so can you! :)

Alyssa said...

You've been tagged! See my blog at www.whatiwonderabout.blogspot.com for info and directions!