Tuesday, November 07, 2006

An Editorial About Election Day

So, I walked down to my voting location this morning (I love being able to walk to the location and the fact that it's a 1930's school building just adds to the appeal). Incidentally, I ran into Daniel Williams in the voting line, which was a nice surprise. But I digress.

Today was not much different from most voting days. I've lived in my house for almost 15 years so I have a bit of a perspective on the situation. As a matter of fact, the voting precinct “judge”, or whatever her title is, has been the same lady since I’ve been voting there. As I was waiting in line, I pondered that and the fact that each year has brought new changes and rules. I empathized with her as she struggled to make sure all her bases were covered.

So, my editorial comment is this: why is there so much frustration experienced with voting? I think I experienced the most frustration with the new voting machines. Now, you have to go through two lines. The first was to be qualified to vote (this is where you sign and get a ticket). Then you turn in the ticket to get a code. Then, the second, much longer line was to wait for the voting machines. Unless you vote a straight party vote, it takes time. But what took longer was the fact that the voting machines weren’t working properly, as well as there being so few machines to begin with. UGH! It makes me want to go back to the paper ballots, hanging chads and all.

All for now,
Lisa

P.S. Cartoon courtesy of the Houston Chronicle

No comments: