Thursday, December 01, 2005

Satisfaction, Gratification, Loneliness, and Being Alone

It seems these have been the topics of many a conversation as of late. Mostly around the subjects of singleness, dating, and the married life. Maybe it's just me, but it also seems like lately there has been a plethora of Christian articles on dating... from Christianity Today, LifeWay, and CrossWalk. But maybe it's like the old adage that if you desire a blue car, suddenly all you see around you are blue cars.

Satisfaction vs. Gratification


"It is the nature of desire not to be satisfied, and most human beings live only
for the gratification of it." Aristotle
I'm not exactly sure what Artistotle meant by this, but let's dig into it. So, if a desire is satisfied, would it be a desire anymore? Say for instance, I have a desire to eat and after I eat I've probably lost my desire to eat right then? By eating, I have gratified my desire; not necessarily satisfied it. I think God made us in a way that we will continually desire. And I am mindful of Paul's comments to the Philippians; knowing the secret of being content regardless of the situation.

I rejoice greatly in the Lord that at last you have renewed your concern for me.
Indeed, you have been concerned, but you had no opportunity to show it. I am not
saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the
circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have
plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation,
whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do
everything through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:10-13 [NIV]


I think Paul is saying contentment is a decision, not a feeling.

Contentment vs. Complacency

Learning to be content does not mean learning to be complacent. I think we must learn to continually stir the waters. We have to. So, how does that really look? I'm not completely sure. But I know I cannot move and stay on hold at the same time. It means finding your vineyard and continually tending it. You can even be bold enough to ask God to enlarge it. But don't let anyone steal your joy (and this might even be yourself!)

Loneliness vs. Being Alone

Loneliness seems to be linked to a state of sadness. Being alone seems more like you are by yourself, but not necessarily sad about it. You can be lonely in a room full of people. Perhaps a lot of singles want to be married thinking that it will solve their loneliness. I leave you with a quote from one of my favorites... Rich Mullins.

And it was just a few years ago that I finally realized that friendship is not a
remedy for loneliness. Loneliness is a part of our experience and if we are
looking for relief from loneliness in friendship, we are only going to frustrate
the friendship. Friendship, camaraderie, intimacy, all those things, and
loneliness live together in the same experience.


All for now,
Lisa

3 comments:

erin vanv said...

Wow, I completely agree with so much of what you said...I have been wrestling with a lot of the same stuff. When I was in Houston, I was discontent with singleness, discontent with status quo and nothing ever changing. And then something finally did and I moved to Canada and all I wanted was to be back in Texas... which made me realize that it was really something within me that was broken to begin with. I desire so much to be able to claim as Paul did contentment in all circumstances.

Lisa said...

Hey EV,

I understand where you're coming from. Sometimes changing our environment makes us see things freshly.

Thanks for posting.

All for now,
Lisa

Laurie said...

Love your post, Lisa! Thanks for sharing those thoughts. I've never thought of contentment as a decision. You've given me much to chew on.