Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Truth Without Love is Like Sodium Without Chloride: Poison, Not Salt!

While this is a direct quote from a recent article from WORLD magazine, it's been a recurring thought for a while. As a matter of fact, I wrote something about this early last month. So when I see recurring "themes" like this, it gives me cause to stop and pause to think about what the Lord is telling me.

You see, there is a battle. And at its most basic it's a battle between the natural and the supernatural. And the crazy thing about it all is that you can be naturally "right and moral" yet not be supernaturally "in truth and love". I suppose that's what I was trying to say in my earlier blog entry... you can be right yet so terribly wrong. Because truth without love is like sodium without chloride. It kills not saves.

You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.
Matthew 5:13-14

I have been down that road of self-effort... of self-piety. Of knowing God yet not following His lead. Of being the other prodigal. I've learned that what drives me should not just be being "right" but knowing, obeying, and walking with Him. I want to be someone who not only knows truth but also someone who wants to be a fellow laborer with Him. And that is driven by love through the leading of the Holy Spirit.

And that ministers.

All for now,
Lisa

1 comment:

Rochelle said...

So well written! That is exactly the concept I've been searching for as well. To be "right" is not necessarily being Spirit led. Thanks for the post and I am excited about reading more of them.
Rochelle