Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Ever Had An Isaac in Your Life?

Have you ever had an Isaac in your life? No, I'm not really talking about a friend named Isaac or a pet named Isaac, but something you held dear that you knew God asked you to give up!

As you know Abraham was promised and Abraham received. But what happened after Abraham received? God asked him to give Isaac up! And not just "give him up" but "offer him as a sacrifice!" Can you imagine? I truly cannot fathom it (and I don't even have kids).

I would have thought Abraham thought God was crazy! But he didn't even question him. Not once. I've read through the account multiple times and each time am convinced that Abraham completely trusted God. He had already had multiple accounts of trying to do things on his own. And each time ended up in a mess. This time it ended perfectly.
The angel of the LORD called to Abraham from heaven a second time and said, "I swear by myself, declares the LORD, that because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies, and through your offspring all nations on earth will be blessed, because you have obeyed me."
Genesis 22:15-18

You know, the first commandment explains this perfectly

You shall have no other gods before me.
Exodus 20:3

It was the spiritual surrender alone that God required. Holding on to something results in idolatry.

I have had three "Isaacs" in my life in the last 15 years. And as much as God has called me to surrender these things, I have seen God's provision in two of them (so far). Yet through it I have felt the Spirit's presence and the fruits of the spirit very evident (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control) most of the time. :-)

It reminds me that it is God who calls, Jesus who saves, and the Holy Spirit who gives empowerment for Godliness.

I am trusting God. And through this spiritual surrender I have seen more clearly a God would loves me and provides for me. And I'm learning what it means to live by faith!

All in all, God is my inheritance!

All for now,
Lisa

No comments: