Wednesday, February 04, 2009

How Can You Be Right Yet So Dreadfully Wrong?

Each year, our church goes through a devotional together. This year, we're doing "Walk With God, the One Year Devotional". I'm really enjoying it. A few days ago (January 30), the devotional was around commitment and success. It was talking about what it means to commit your ways to the Lord and how to define Godly success.

I began thinking about that. And thinking about how when I do something I want to do it right. Yet, without the power of the Holy Spirit infused in me, I may be able to do it correctly, yet fail miserably. I've failed because it's been I that has done it, and not the Lord. It may appear that I have achieved my goal or done something nice for someone else. But the bounty will eventually die. I may have done a very good and moral thing. But it is without eternal significance because it's been in my earthly power and that effort will be burned up along with everything else mortal. And I may have knowledge of the Lord and scripture, but if I don't obey and follow His lead, I move without the power of the Holy Spirit. I guess I'd just be a knowledgable pagan. That's not walking with Him. We're studying James and Ephesians in our Wednesday study and I was reminded of this verse last week:

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.
James 1:22

Over and over again scripture tells us that sin (and not obeying the word of God is sin) leads to devastation, destruction, and death.

There is a great line in the devotional:

The issue is not status, achievements, reputation, or profit. It is godly character and eternal fruit.

Oh that is a mouthful. And probably appears foolish to many. But in that one sentence is the essence of following Christ. For with the Holy Spirit comes fruits of the spirit - and only by the Holy Spirit can one possess them. Great studying is meaningless - if you're not in the alignment of God's will. Oh, there is moral, plastic fruit. But I would suggest you scratch the surface of those fruits. The wax will appear quickly. I have learned quite a bit in this season about character. God's character. My character. And learned about fruit (even from yesterday's devotional) - fruits of the spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control) comes from our motives and attitudes. And it is those two things (character and fruit) that we will carry with us to Heaven. Nothing more. Nothing less.

After all, that is our form of worship. Our motives, attitudes, character, and fruit tell us exactly what we think about God.

I suppose we have to each ask ourselves what is our motive? Is it to try to do it right? Or to do it Godly? ("For the love of Christ that compels us" 2 Cor 5:14). And what is our attitude? To prove what we might know? Or to receive and respond to the Holy Spirit's leading? ("Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus" Phil 2:15). All the work done for the sake of good in this world will burn up and leave all the work done for the sake of God in this world.

Beth Moore said it very well last night: We have a portion and a lot. We are harvesters (of fruit). May I gather up my sheaths and present it to my King.

Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure. The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance.
Psalm 16:5-6

All for now,
Lisa

No comments: