Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Listening to the Voices of the Martyrs

I just received a mass email - from Focus on the Family - entitled, "The Most Courageous Stories You Will Ever Read". Of course, that enticed me to read on. It was an advert email telling about a newsletter called "The Voice of the Martyrs". If you're like me, when you think of "martyrs" your mind goes to Stephen or other characters in the Bible. Well, unfortunately, it's still happening today.

Three quick testimonies awed me:

A Sudanese Christian boy has his knees and feet nailed to a board and he is
left to die. When rescued he says he forgives the man who did this because Jesus
was also nailed and forgave him.

A Vietnamese pastor is sentenced to two years in prison. When he is offered
an early release, he declines stating that he has a group of new Believers in
the prison he has to disciple.

A Colombian missionary is kidnapped and told she only has two hours to
live. She tells her captors that if she only has two hours to live, she wants to
spend it telling them about Jesus.

All for now,
Lisa

3 comments:

Alyssa said...

Those stories give me chills.

Please, Lord. If I am ever in a similar position, give me the courage to speak your Name.

Lisa said...

Amen! And would you believe today's "Our Daily Bread" spoke to Kingdom Living also.

http://www.rbc.org/odb/odb-01-23-08.shtml

dena norton said...

well, as usual, i fell a bit of healthy shame over my all-too-quiet christian life. thanks for passing these along - i pray god will give encouragement and many blessings to these dear saints whose challenge to live and die for christ haunts me today.