Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Satisfied

sat·is·fied - Pronunciation [sat-is-fahyd] –adjective

1. content: a satisfied look.
2. completely paid, as a bill.
3. convinced, as in an argument: Their opponents were finally satisfied.

[Origin: 1565–75]

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) Based on the
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

This past summer, we saw this tombstone in Kenya - in a cemetary where many missionaries had been buried. Obviously, a tombstone like this catches your eye. It made me wonder about K.W. Allen MD. Was it a he or a she? In their roughly 69 years on earth, what made them want to put "satisfied" on their tombstone? How long had this person been a missionary?

Then a long ago sermon replayed in my head. In it, the preacher talked about our lives here on earth. And the fact that it is so brief. So brief, in fact, that only a dash on our tombstone represents our entire life! (for Dr. Allen, it's 1886 - 1955).

What will you do with your dash?

All for now,
Lisa

And I—in righteousness I will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness (Psalm 17:15 NIV)

No comments: