Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Random Musings about Singapore

General Observations

  • Everywhere you go there are MASSES of people! And I thought New York was crowded.
  • The weather is pretty much the SAME everyday, sunrises and sunsets are the same each day also (because of the proximity to the equator).
  • The two best things to do in Singapore is SHOP and EAT!
  • There are HUGE shopping malls everywhere. Not huge in American terms though. Think multi-story (4-5 story), COMPACT malls, with very narrow walkways. Every store you can imagine -- and again, masses of people.
Personal Experiences
  • I worked out at California Fitness yesterday, which is owned by 24 Hour Fitness (and would you believe they even honored my card... what a global village we truly have!).
  • Just like the malls, the gym was multi-story with so many machines it felt like a maze to navigate. And again, masses of people.
  • Last night, I had my first experience with a unisex bathroom... 4 stalls, 2 sinks, 0 urinals (thank goodness!)
  • It's taken a while for my body to adapt to the severe change of time... so far. As of now, I'm fully awake in the middle of the night and falling asleep in the middle of the day.
On a Spiritual Note
  • The conference has brought representatives from many different countries - I've counted 15 countries from Asia, the middle east, and southern Africa. That also means that there are many different religions represented. I'm intrigued by the melting pot right here in our little conference room (about 150 people).
  • Right now, it's Ramadan, so my Muslim colleagues are fasting and praying during the day. It's been very interesting to observe both the Muslims and the non-Muslim colleagues, especially the way they appreciate the diversity.
  • I have yet to see a strong Christian presence here, but I've seen the following things in a variety of ways already: Love, Grace, Mercy, Redemption, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Self Control. Interestingly, I've seen these in the people of this region.... most notably, non-Christians. It makes me wonder about the state of my own heart. Do I exhibit these? Are they as visible in me to others as they have been in others to me?
  • I remember the end of a "My Utmost For His Highest" devotional, "The undiminished radiance, which is the result of abundant joy, is not built on anything passing, but on the love of God that nothing can change. And the experiences of life, whether they are everyday events or terrifying ones, are powerless to "separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 8:39). Lord, let them see the undiminished radiance, and know the reason!

No comments: