Saturday, September 30, 2006

Holiday on a Hong Kong Holiday

Much to my surprise, when I arrived at my Hong Kong hotel, I was told by the hotel staff that it's Guóqìngjié! I had no idea what Guóqìngjié was so I had to look it up.

Guóqìngjié, or Chinese National Day, is one of three major holidays in China. The name comes from guó (country) + qìng (celebration) + jié (festival). It marks the founding of the People's Republic of China by Mao Tse-Tung on October 1, 1949.

Hong Kong is going to glow tonight! There will be a fireworks display in Victoria Harbor tonight to celebrate.

I was also told by the hotel staff that there should be large crowds of spectators around the harbor (like there aren't enough people around already!). So, I decided to spend a little extra on my room and get a harbor view (my hotel just happens to be right on the harbor). I'm up on the 32nd floor and I have an excellent view of the harbor! I can wait to see the fireworks display!

What I was also told is don't expect to do any business in China this week. China is closed. He He, I hope the shops are open!!

I feel so fortunate to be here on Hong Kong on one of their major holidays. I am smiling and thanking God now!

All for now,
Lisa

No comments: