Monday, May 15, 2006

A Season to Simply Trust

It's been a while since I've last blogged. And that's not to say that not much has been happening. To the contrary, God has been working (as He always is) in me, but just like a cake in the oven, sometimes, once it goes in, it takes a little time to see the results. I think the timer has chimed and my thoughts have firmed up a little. So here goes... I may ramble a little, but humor me.

Actually, I think God started "baking" this topic as early as January. The thought first came across to me as simply following prophecy. And my desire for God to simply give me a sign, especially when the road seems a bit unclear. It was then that I realized that even if God gave me a sign, I may not follow it.

(http://lieseldiesel.blogspot.com/2006_01_01_lieseldiesel_archive.html)

Now, what I'm realizing is in times of doubt or confusion, I should simply trust. So, what is exactly trust? I found the following on answers.com when typing in the word "trust"


Trust, faith, confidence, reliance, dependence. These nouns denote a feeling of
certainty that a person or thing will not fail. Trust implies depth and
assurance of feeling that is often based on inconclusive evidence.
Inconclusive evidence? Don't we live in a constant state of inconclusive evidence? That's why I wanted a sign! And I trusted God to show me it. But instead of showing me a sign, God has been showing me that my desire for a sign was evidence that I really wasn't fully trusting Him. Aha! So, maybe it's not about trust, but about control?

I often remember a magazine cutout a friend had on her refrigerator:

Faith isn't faith until it's all you're holding onto
I think the above photo demonstrates holding on. The strength isn't in the little hand, it's in the big hand. All the little hand has to do is to hold on.

Perhaps it's no coincidence that I'm currently reading Ruthless Trust. In it, Brennan Manning talks about an interaction between John Kavanaugh and Mother Teresa. She asked how she could pray for him. When he replied, "clarity", she responded with a firm, "No!". "Clarity is the last thing you are clinging to and must let go of".

Furthermore, Ken Brumley, at the Reload Retreat, talked about clarity. He said something like "pray for purity, not clarity. With purity, the clarity will come."

One of my dearest friends is Tracey, whom I can always count on for her insight, honesty, and eloquence. She once told me that during a dark time, she really was down to simply remembering three things: "God is soverign, He is good, and He loves me". I have often hung on to those three things, but I think the missing link was that I was still looking for His hand, His plan, and now I'm just going to stick with keeping with the purity of who I am (a child of the King) and fully trusting that what He has in store, although unbeknownst to me, will be better than I could ever have imagined!

1 Corinthians 2:9
However, as it is written: 'No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him' [Isaiah 64:4]

Jeremiah 29:11-13
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Ephesians 3:20-21
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

Ephesians 2:10
For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

Philippians 1:6
being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.

Philippians 4:8-9
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

I'm not saying that asking Him to show you His will shows lack of confidence in Him or a lack of trust. I just know right now He has me in a season of simplying trusting Him and not asking any more questions.

Well, would you believe that a friend just emailed me with this as her ending note, "You can pray for my faith to be strong as I learn to put all my eggs in His basket!"

Putting ALL my eggs into His basket. Well, that pretty well sums up this whole blog entry. Thanks Sarah!

All for now,
Lisa

2 comments:

Jessica said...

This was fantastic Lisa... Thank you for sharing what God has been teaching you!! I'm excited to hang out with you again in Cuba!!

Lisa said...

Hey Jessica,

Thanks so much.

Yes! Can't wait for CUBA!!!

All for now,
Lisa