Wednesday, August 17, 2005

It's in the Hymns

I'm a sucker for a great hymn. Don't get me wrong. If you know anything about me, you know that I lean towards contemporary praise songs. And my preference is a contemporary over a traditional worship service. But, nonetheless, I'm a sucker for a great hymn. And though it seems that many a contemporary artist (Bart Millard, Amy Grant, Ashley Cleveland, Jars of Clay just to name a few) is now recasting the great hymns, I guess you could say, I was a hymner before being a hymner was cool.

So, last night, a friend of mine and I went to the Robbie Seay Band CD release party. It was a rockin' time! Before they played the hymn, "Come Ye Sinners". Robbie mentioned that a music critic had recently written in his review that RSB's version of it was a "unnecessary but fine arrangement". Well, in my opinion (as well as a few others) RSB does a fantasic job of this hymn. Matter of fact, I had never heard this hymn before RSB played it. So, I thank him for that and I thank him for his wonderful arrangement.

I found out that "Come Ye Sinners" was written by Joseph Hart in 1759. That's 246 years ago if you're counting. Think about that one. It was written before the American Revolution. But how timely is the message? I think that's what keeps coming home to me with hymns and maybe why I love them so much. How easily I can identify with someone who lived so long ago.

Here's the lyrics. Ponder them if you have a moment.

Come, ye sinners, poor and needy,
Weak and wounded, sick and sore;
Jesus ready stands to save you,
Full of pity, love and power.

Refrain
I will arise and go to Jesus,
He will embrace me in His arms;
In the arms of my dear Savior,
O there are ten thousand charms.

Come, ye thirsty, come, and welcome,
God’s free bounty glorify;
True belief and true repentance,
Every grace that brings you nigh.

Come, ye weary, heavy laden,
Lost and ruined by the fall;
If you tarry till you’re better,
You will never come at all.

View Him prostrate in the garden;
On the ground your Maker lies.
On the bloody tree behold Him;
Sinner, will this not suffice?

Lo! th’incarnate God ascended,
Pleads the merit of His blood:
Venture on Him, venture wholly,
Let no other trust intrude.

Let not conscience make you linger,
Not of fitness fondly dream;
All the fitness He requireth
Is to feel your need of Him.

So, do you have a favorite hymn or hymns? If so, any particular reason?

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Erin,

Thanks again for posting! You're still my hero!!

Love Be Thou My Vision also. Love it for it's lyrics, but have to admit, it has a special place for me because Rich Mullins loved it (although he loved it, because, "it was Irish".

I would have to say I have 4-5 favorites.

Come Thou Fount
Be Thou My Vision
How Great Thou Art
Amazing Grace

All for now,
Lisa

Joel said...

It's easier to post my link than to retype. ;)

http://joelbain.blogspot.com/2005/05/hymns-of-old.html

Lisa said...

Thanks Joel. Well, I suppose it's coming around again. I hadn't read that entry on your blog. Thanks for connecting it.

Earlier this month, I went to an old fashioned hymn sing at Chapelwood United Methodist Church. It was one of the most wonderful fellowship opportunities I've had in a while. And I'm not sure why. I went alone and sat in the back. I suppose it was just the attitude one has when those old songs are being sung.

I sat near a few veteran bassists. OH MY WORD... how wonderful to hear that bellow coming from someone who knows how to use it!


All for now,
Lisa

gL said...

Your the best when it comes to hymns! It was a true pleasure to sing some of those in worship while in G-Mala!