Monday, August 29, 2005

It's all about the Journey

Every goal is a grave, when you get there. DH Lawrence

DH Lawrence's quote is quite appropriate for this journal entry. For I've understood for a while that it's not about the end, but the journey. But the end is also important, and should not be ignored. I suppose now I view the end as the beginning. That the end of life will oblidge eternity for me.

But this is the time of my education. I've learned on this journey so far is that we must "let the puzzle of the human heart be what it is."

Drifting off to sleep, I thought about [my mother]. How nobody is perfect. How
you just have to close your eyes and breathe out and let the puzzle of the human
heart be what it is. The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd
And that at that point in time you become anxious because you outgrow your most comfortable answers that you will let stillness be the teacher. Or maybe the pointer or road marker of sorts.

Stillness is the sign post
Jesus is the teacher

It points the way to Jesus because His still, silent voice must be discerned - an ear stretched to hear it. What also I have learned recently is that sometimes Jesus can be still also. Not necessarily giving you an answer or direction (for those of us who have walked in obedience a while that can be too comfortable). I'm reminded of Jehoshaphat and his response to God. When Israel was being invaded by the mighty armies, his repsonse was "For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you." (2 Chron 20)

So, my eyes are upon You. My ears are tuned to the sound of Your voice. And I am present at this point of my journey.

All for now,
Lisa

No comments: