Tuesday, December 22, 2009

A Year in Review, a Year to Behold, and a Signing Off

On January 29 of this year, I wrote a blog entry in which I recorded a bucket list. While I don't "live by it", I did find it fun to write. It also gave me cause to write a thankful list, which again, gave me an opportunity to realize how thankful I am to God for giving me so many different opportunities in this life on earth.

With that in mind, I figured now would be a good time to reflect over the past year and write down a year in review.


Things done this year from the 2009 Bucket List
Visit Spain (and a priviledge that it was a mission trip)
Fly in a glider (soaring)
See an American eagle in its natural habitat
Climb up the Grand Canyon
Learn how to tie different knots
Shoot a machine gun
Go deer hunting
Go rappelling - Aussie style!
Play a wii

And some things I didn't expect
Climbed the 3rd largest cathedral (in Sevilla, Spain) (I've already climbed #1 and #2)
Took the Jeep 4 wheeling (again)
Rode the MS150 in Texas
Rode the MS150 in California
Went to my sister's 30th High School reunion
Went dove hunting
Went paintballing
Completed an artwork for the church's Easter art installation
"Badged" with the Houston Lifestock Show and Rodeo
Learned how to weld
Learned how to play the djembe and congas
Became "director" of a 1 year olds class for the children's ministry at my church
Took a photo with David Crowder (another CCM artist)
Saw a meteor shower

And looking forward to 2010, here's some things I'd love to do:

Here's my hopes for 2010 from my 2009 bucket list
Learn to fly fish
* Vacation in Costa Rica (maybe even surf!)
Swim with dolphins/whales/manta rays
Catch a firefly and put it in a jar
Learn to sail (by myself)
Learn to start a fire (without matches)
* Go back to Ireland, and be sure to kiss the Blarney stone this time
Visit Peru (and climb Machu Picchu)
** Get married
Go deep sea fishing
Learn how to make beer, wine, or even moonshine!
Peg a speedometer of something fast!!
See a Mardi Gras parade in New Orleans
Ride on the Ferris Wheel at the Texas State Fair

And some new things
Visit Alaska
Ride a zip line (again)
Learn how to build a log cabin
Participate in a drum circle
Learn to play the trap set (drums)
Teach mosaics at Laity Lodge (again)
Kayak on Corpus Christi bay
Do an artwork for the church's Easter art installation (again)
Buy some recreational/retirement land
Go rappelling - Aussie style! (this time, not get talked out of it half way down!)

* These may have more of a missions focus now, but this remains to be seen... or unfolded!
** Hope springs eternal!

You know, life is definitely more than "doing things" but, we have a short time here and I want to enjoy ALL that He has created for us. And I want to make sure to enjoy it with the perspective that I am an alien here - meaning, with a God-honoring perspective and in a way that makes me think not about earth but about our eternal home.

This is probably more than all for now... this is probably all.

Signing off,
Lisa

1 comment:

Sapna said...

That's a nice list of achievements and wishes... good luck.