Friday, May 01, 2009

Thoughts from a Recent Camping Trip

One of my favorite things to do is to go camping, paired with doing some sort of adventure (hiking, biking, fishing, kayaking, rapelling)! I love the outdoors, the fun, the activity, and the fellowship. I guess you can call me a people person because I would have never thought of going camping alone until recently.

On my last camping outing I did just that. I ventured alone to our camping site early and stayed two days and a night alone - before the rest of the crew arrived. It was an odd site to be at a campsite alone (I think the ranger checked on me more than usual, which I thought was very sweet).

But I wasn't alone.

Yes, there were tons of animals around, which I was more accutely aware of due to it being quieter than usual around the campsite. I just know a deer visited me during the night. But I had one of the most awesome, yet unexpected, times alone with our Lord.

I wasn't nearly alone.

It was early morning of my second day. It had gotten colder during the night before and was actually really chilly in the early morning hours. I didn't have much wood to start a fire and the wood that I had didn't burn very well. But I was cold. So, I got the fire going, but had to tend to it pretty regularly or it would go out. I was trying to get the campsite up so I was doing a few things around the camp and then would go back to the fire to stoke it (and warm up). I finally sat down in a chair and took a little break to enjoy the fire.

It was then as I just stared into the beautiful flame that I had an "aha" moment. Isn't tending the fire much like my relationship with God? If I "walk away" for too long the relationship will suffer. And if I walk away I'll miss the "benefits" - the warmth, the glow, the energy. I was beginning to understand.

And there was more.

As I put a big log onto the fire, the flame almost went out. I hurried around to get some kindling wood to supplement the big log. I thought about the analogy to prayer. Big long prayers are good; short quick prayer are good - and both are needed.

Thank you. Lord, for even using a campfire to teach me something about You.

I love you Lord.

All for now,
Lisa

No comments: