Monday, May 18, 2009

Thoughts from 10 Dirty Fingernails

Though my backyard is relatively small, the greenery can get out of hand very easily, especially if you're not looking! :-)

This past weekend I decided to forage my way into the very back of the yard to trim up some vines and branches that had gotten WAY overgrown. This was an attempt to make a pathway to a neighbor's tree that has grown branches into my backyard - and even encroaching on the 85 year old crepe myrtles. I eventually need to tackle those encroaching branches, but first things first!

Saturday was a hot and humid morning, but I was enjoying getting my fingers dirty. There’s nothing like spending a little time digging into God’s green earth that puts everything into just the right perspective. I thought about turning on some tunes, but the silence, broken only by a bird singing, was nice.

At first, I didn’t think the vines were that overgrown. Although it had been at least two years since I last trimmed them. Well, as I started tackling the vines, I realized they had grown over the fence and down the fence line! Wow – and the vines were as thick as a rope!
It’s those kinds of moments that give me such a unique spiritual perspective. I thought about how Jesus says...

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you. This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
John 15:5-8

...because earlier last week I had started removing some vines. And just a few days later, the vines and branches where I chopped a path were already brown and withered. It really brought home the point that branches that are thrown away wither and are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. They don’t last.

Then I started thinking about vines that just grow, without direction. They may grow, but they won’t bear fruit. It made me mindful of the verses earlier in the chapter:
"I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, and I will remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.
John 15:1-4

Lord, thank you for being the gardener. And for pruning me so I may bear Your fruit. Fruit of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

And thank you, Lord, for even using a hot humid day in my backyard to teach me something about You.

I love you Lord.

All for now,
Lisa

No comments: