Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Ashes Ashes

Today is Ash Wednesday, which is the first day of Lent. Traditionally, the Roman Catholic churches offer ashes to be placed on the foreheads of the faithful to remind them of death. From what I understand, God's words to Adam are often used in the ceremony: “Dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.”

My friend Susan Ince wrote the following last year. I've kept a print out of it above my desk at work since then. I thought it would be worthy to share here:

I would like to suggest one way of making room for God during this Lenten
season: choosing not to do some things (fasting) and choosing to do other things
(feasting). Tradition teaches us to fast during Lent, because Lent
prepares us for Easter, the victory of life over death, we need also to feast on
the life God offers as we seek to deepen the divine life within us. It is
appropriate then to fast AND to feast!

Fast from harsh or mean words.
Feast on words that encourage and support others.

Fast from anger.
Feast on patience.

Fast from worry.
Feast on God's love and care.

Fast from sadness and depression.
Feast on joy and peace of mind.

Fast from complaining.
Feast on appreciation and gratitude.

Fast from bitterness.
Feast on forgiveness.

Fast from resentment.
Feast on acceptance.

Fast from jealousy.
Feast on being oneself.

Fast from self-centeredness.
Feast on compassion for others.

Fast from excess.
Feast on moderation.

Fast from acquiring.
Feast on generosity.

Fast from apathy.
Feast on caring.

Fast from discouragement.
Feast on hope.

Fast from judging others.
Feast on finding Christ in them.


All for now,
Lisa

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Great post Lisa... Thanks for the encouragement!

kelly said...

Thanks for sharing that. I really like the poem she wrote; I think I'll print it out and put it on my desk :).